7

I'm going to try to get into the habit of posting the articles in the main blog body instead of the news feed to the right (thanks KO, for the idea).  The pickings are sparse today, but since I should be doing a daily feed (and we only do articles twice per week), there should be more to look at in the future.

Obama's rhetoric.  Author's pulling at the reminiscent heartstrings hardcore here.  Does her argument work?  Popmatters Story

More rhetoric in the blogosphere: Treehugger Story

This is the piece of art? game? I was describing in class: game, game, game, and again game via Popmatters

Upton Sinclair's novel The Jungle incited a mass overhaul of the American meat processing industry in  the early 20th century.  Is video a more effective means of persuasion? NYT: Dining & Wine Story

More to come later tonight; I'm headed to look at more houses!

Print this post
7
Responses to ... Daily Articles
Anonymous said... March 13, 2008 at 7:33 PM

Hey, I played that game you posted, and well, it doesn't make sense. I know that's probably the whole idea, "it's all about the journey" kinda thing, but it seems like he's trying to be artistic. He puts together nothing sentences and maybe expects people to look into them. I read all of the little pop ups several times and still only a few even come close to making sense. In class, this would be the point where you ask something like "is being artistic something he's interested in?" to which I'd respond: "Well yeah, he mixes things together and expects people to call it art". You would then say one of two things 1:"Isnt that what art is? Mixing things together to make something." or 2:"Does he expect people to call it art?"
There is a point to all my rambling, I'd just like to know if you found a point to this game, and I'd rather not do it in person so I dont have to go through thick layers of open-ended rhetorical questions. I know it might work for some people, but I really can't stand talking in circles around a subject and never coming to a conclusion. Don't get me wrong, I know that some subjects don't have clear cut conclusions but if this one does, I'd like to know.

JStallings said... March 13, 2008 at 7:53 PM

Thanks for being in my class.

I agree that as a game this thing is really bad. It is equally bad as art. Now, you might expect me to say something like, "But is creating art or a good game the point?" To which you might respond, "I told you not to ask open-ended rhetorical questions." To which I would respond: Oh yeah.

I think he's trying to be profound, based on his statements in the popmatters interview:
“My goal was: how can I transform my own crazy writings and ideas into an artwork that the public, your average 18 year old kid, could engage with. And a game format seemed like the most logical idea.” The problem is that his game is neither logical nor engaging, in my opinion. He is working in territory that he thinks is new, but I could see someone making one of two points (though there could be many more): There are at least a few very well-crafted video games already out that could be considered "art" if one was so inclined. Or, his point that the beliefs we hold are often clumsy, malleable, and subject to frequent revisions based on random experiences is an interesting theme for an interactive piece of art.

Anonymous said... March 13, 2008 at 8:05 PM

I am of the same opinion, the game sort of blew. Anyway, if you're looking for art in games, take a look at some of the character models and environments for Gears of War or Mass Effect, if you haven't seen them already. What some people don't understand is that all these things in games, people started by drawing them. They just took it a step further by animating them. Even though I have a strong personal bias, I would say that anyone who says video games are not art, or cannot have grood (great and good) art are simply wrong.

JStallings said... March 13, 2008 at 8:12 PM

This would make an excellent analysis. If you haven't written one for tomorrow, you might consider this topic.

Anonymous said... March 13, 2008 at 8:13 PM

So it can just be an analysis of this subject, I dont need to hunt around for an article to back it?

JStallings said... March 13, 2008 at 8:17 PM

Though there is an article analyzing the game (the link is under "Popmatters" on this post), I think it's time we move from reacting to others' arguments and begin creating our own, based on topics we're interested in. This Friday should be the last article analysis we present. From now on, we choose a topic and respond to it on our own terms.

Anonymous said... March 13, 2008 at 8:18 PM

Cool tapes, thanks.

Post a Comment