15

Write an organized, well-argued essay over one of the following topics. You do not need to answer every question under your chosen topic, but keep each in mind while writing your thesis.

1) Simulation and hyper-reality are prevalent in Don DeLillo's White Noise. Explain how these concepts reflect an aspect of current popular culture, using one of your articles [or one you find tonight] as evidence of this. What is DeLillo's argument? How does he present it? What does the Toxic Airborne Event have to do with simulation? SIMUVAC?

2) Human cloning is a very complex issue―one which involves moral choices and the direct application of manufacturing to human beings. What does Ishiguro's stance on the cloning issue in Never Let Me Go seem to be? How does he use pathos to argue this stance? During their time at Hailsham, the students are asked to create original art. Why is this? Is this part of Ishiguro's argument?

3) Both novels explore the theme of consumption versus creation in society. Using an article and one of the books -or- two chosen articles, discuss the arguments involved. How does consumption or reflection factor into a person's identity, according to the texts?

4) Death is a strong presence in White Noise. Why does DeLillo choose to include this in a commentary on contemporary culture? How does Murray’s supermarket thesis fit into this? The family’s consumption? Jack’s position? The “most photographed barn in America?

These essays require insights into the novels and the world around us and evidence from the texts to support your arguments. Do not write a personal editorial. This means no anecdotal evidence from your lives and no personal pronouns. Keep the tone formal; you have good ideas so do not hesitate to state them without qualifiers.

Print this post
15
Responses to ... Essay Prompt, In Case You Lost It
Anonymous said... September 9, 2007 at 5:09 PM
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said... September 9, 2007 at 6:02 PM

Hey, Stallings. So, obviously I was out all last week (thanks to a nasty ear infection), and I was wondering what I need to come prepared Monday morning. I'll talk to you about what I need to make up in class tomorrow, but maybe I could get a headstart on it tonight? :]

-Sage

JStallings said... September 9, 2007 at 6:23 PM

Sage, if you can read as much as possible of your book and start writing your paper you'll be fine. They are to be four pages, 12pt Times New Roman, 1" margins, etc. Bring two articles for last week, but we will not be doing articles tomorrow. (Of course you can bring more if you really want to.) If you have any other questions just let me know.

Anonymous said... September 9, 2007 at 7:47 PM

Hyperventilating.
Dave Matthews Band.
September 22.
Dallas, Texas.
Tickets.
Mine.
Bidding.
Hyperventilating.


Yessssss.

Anonymous said... September 9, 2007 at 9:04 PM

Oh, Stallings. I'm assuming this will be a great book, but it directly relates to what you're teaching. Found it intriguing.

Benjamin Barber's "Consumed"

Did you already mention this book? Did I already mention this book?

Either way. There it is.

MemorableName said... September 9, 2007 at 9:41 PM

You already said you wouldn't make me do the essay, but how much credit is it worth? I've been really behind on my articles, so I might try to hammer one out within a day or so.
Also, this isn't our final essay over these books, is it? I'm just getting into White Noise and reading some Becker to supplement it, and I'd probably do a lot better to write about it than Never Let Me Go (I didn't mark anything up or take any notes when I read it).

JStallings said... September 9, 2007 at 9:58 PM

Memorable: I'm sorry, I wasn't clear. I meant that I would not make you turn it in tomorrow, since you were gone when the paper was assigned. We will workshop the essays in class on Monday, and that will be worth 50 points. The final copies will be due on Friday for another 50 points. Come to class with what you can. I will want a typed draft from you by Wednesday, and a final copy on Friday.

As always (this applies to everyone), if you ever need more time to turn in an assignment, please talk to me a full day before it is due. I'm always willing to work something out.

Anonymous said... September 9, 2007 at 10:11 PM

i sent an email regarding our assignment we're supposed to have tomorrow. just in case, you don't check it often or something.

JStallings said... September 9, 2007 at 10:14 PM

I haven't received anything. Did you send it to jstallings@tsas.org?

Anonymous said... September 9, 2007 at 10:23 PM

no, i didn't..
but it should be there now.

Anonymous said... September 11, 2007 at 8:25 PM

I LOVE THE STEPHEN HAWKINGS INTERVIEW.

The boxing glove part cracked me up. How he hopes he'd never use one, although sometimes he's sorely tempted.

And the fact that most people only know him for his appearance on the Simpsons as opposed to his scientific advancements. HA!

Friggin' great.

Anonymous said... September 13, 2007 at 8:19 PM

I'm tired of this post. Can't you make a new one, Stallings?

:P

Anonymous said... September 13, 2007 at 8:21 PM

By the way... YoNaturals vending machines. GREAT idea. I eat a lot of the things they're vending, and people always want Cliff bars and stuff anyway. Idk, I liked the article. Very user-friendly as opposed to the vending machines stocked with Snickers, and other heart palpitation-causing sweets.

Anonymous said... September 13, 2007 at 8:48 PM

ba ca da ba ca da ca da.
anywho, i would just like to say congrats to you stallings, you got Wesley rather riled today. I've never seen him do that before. It was grand. way to go.
-Sparks

Anonymous said... September 16, 2007 at 3:23 PM

Look up Tim Fite.

Just do it.

Now.

Post a Comment