5

Just following up on an announcement on Friday. I spoke with my friend again today about setting up a pen pal program between you guys and her elementary students. She said her students are really excited about the opportunity, and have already begun writing letters. Let me know if you would be interested in this. It will certainly not be graded, but it would be a great way to help them with their spelling, etc.

Also, for those of you who are fairly proficient or fluent in Spanish, she is looking for some high school students who would be willing to read to them on Tuesdays or Thursdays. The kids love this, but often are not read to at home; many of the students who speak Spanish cannot read it. I can get the information to anyone interested in this.

Oh, speaking of volunteer work, how did the race go? Were any of you able to attend? I want stories when we get back.

We will be watching The Island on Monday and Tuesday. I did not realize how perfect this movie would be as a blend of our two very different books. It is by no means great cinema, but the ideas and concepts are there for us to discuss. If you miss class, rent the movie and watch it at home. It is PG-13, so watch it with your parents permission. I will be monitoring the unnecessary parts in class.

Print this post
5
Responses to ... Elementary Pen Pals
Anonymous said... September 16, 2007 at 9:15 PM

ver good ver good. I'll do the penpal thing for sure. Hope your feeling better.
-Sparks

Anonymous said... September 16, 2007 at 9:49 PM

I second both of those statements.

MemorableName said... September 16, 2007 at 9:52 PM

Yes, yes, I hear that you're sick too. Horrible stuff. "Get well" and all that business. I dunno if I'll be able to make it tomorrow, but I'm definitely going to try.

Do I need to send you my essay somehow if I stay gone?

As for those kids, I'm somewhat interested in reading to them. I read a lot of Spanish poetry, but I dunno if the kids would dig it or not. I'd be open to teaching kids how to read it though, as I'm fairly good with Romance phonetics, grammar and all that stuff. Essentially, I need to talk to you about this sometime.

Anonymous said... September 16, 2007 at 10:09 PM

Ahhh! I'm all excited to watch the movie, now! I'm definitely interested in writing letters.

Unknown said... September 18, 2007 at 9:57 PM

Can you put up the rubric for "The Island" essay.

Post a Comment