11

We must choose one book. The two chosen (each by about half the class) are The Picture of Dorian Gray (which I have not finished) and One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (which I will read again along with the class. If you have an argument either way, please post it. We are reading for class discussion and future study. If you have a different book to suggest, please make sure it fulfills the above criteria and is perfect for the class. We do not need to re-open the debate tomorrow. Any suggestions should be backed with a solid defense of the novel. We will spend 10 minutes in class tomorrow voting for our choice, and the rest of the period presenting our articles.

Print this post
11
Responses to ... Book Ideas
Anonymous said... December 18, 2007 at 8:54 PM

Personally, I would like to read The Picture of Dorian Gray, because I think the idea of the novel sounds...novel. I don't have specific arguments for this book, I just think I'd like to read it.

Anonymous said... December 18, 2007 at 10:23 PM

I am cool with anything but I read some more review type things and The Tin Drum and Herzog are two novels that also seemed interesting.

JStallings said... December 18, 2007 at 10:31 PM

I'm not familiar with The Tin Drum, but Herzog is amazing. I'll bring it tomorrow if you'd like to borrow it.

Anonymous said... December 18, 2007 at 11:01 PM

While that may be, I'd rather not throw any more book options out there, as we're having enough trouble picking between two books, adding one more could make us have another class like today on our hands.

Anonymous said... December 18, 2007 at 11:29 PM

Dorian would be my choice, but I don't want to be praying the the guy looks at the picture so we can end the book. Other than that it sounds pretty good to me, but I won't be broken hearted if we go with the other book.
-Sparks's two cents

Anonymous said... December 19, 2007 at 6:53 PM

I would rather read Dorian. I've already read One Flew Over, and it wasn't that impressive, number one, and I don't really like Kesey's way of making it so symbolic. Plus it's hard to get a fresh perspective of that book considering there's the movie that probably everyone has seen. It was hard for me to see unique characters of the book when I'd already seen Nicholson.

JStallings said... December 19, 2007 at 7:00 PM

Hey! Good to hear from you. Hope you're feeling a bit better.

The class has chosen The Picture, so everyone's happy.

If anyone is looking for a copy, I know B&N has it for about $4 under their "B&N Classics" section. Just make sure you don't get a condensed version.

Anonymous said... December 19, 2007 at 10:01 PM

Karen! You have internet. I am so glad. :].

That maybe means you are home!

Hopefully. I think it does, anyway.

Anonymous said... December 24, 2007 at 5:22 PM

We picked a good book to read. I'm lovin' it. Hope you're enjoying the holiday.

Anonymous said... December 25, 2007 at 2:50 PM

i bought both books. and im already on chapter 10 of dorian so im good. but is it supposed to be read by the end of the break?

JStallings said... December 26, 2007 at 11:11 AM

Taylor (boy): You're fine. Everyone should read to chapter 8 before the end of the break. You certainly may read further, but we want to discuss as we go.

Post a Comment