12

. . . just articles to read for Tuesday. Read them and think about the questions that follow. We're going to discuss them when we get back.

"You Are What You Own" from Guardian Unlimited
Where is the thesis of this article? What is the main point?
Who is the author writing for? How does he establish common ground with this audience?
Is this article persuasive? Can you find a more persuasive article?

"Would Orwell have Been a Blogger?" again, Guardian Unlimited
This is just for memorablename.
"The first time I used 'weblog', in a magazine story about Arnold Schwarzenegger in September 2003, The Observer had to place the meaning of this exotic term in square brackets. Six months later, 'blogging' was common. By 2005, some 60 new blogs were being launched every minute."
This is interesting. I can't remember where I read it, but someone commenting on a news story noted that communication technologies are becoming obsolete at an exponential rate: Movies lasted 100 years, video tapes around 50, DVDs around 15... How long will Blu-ray last?
Is the same thing is happening to our language?


"French Told to Try Smiling for Once" once more, from Guardian Unlimited
This just troubles me.

"Area Man Likes to Compare Circle of Friends to Cast of Lost" from The Onion
I know, not real news, but Klosterman does a whole essay on this phenomenon through The Real World. This is life imitating art. How does this fit with White Noise?

And finally, "Snips, Snails, and Puppy Dog Tails" from Slate.com
Agree? Disagree? Does your opinion have more than anecdotal evidence? See if you can find more information on this if you agree/disagree.

[Edit: Okay, one more. "We're no Slaves to Our Senses" from Spiked-online.com]

Print this post
12
Responses to ... No PoMo
Anonymous said... September 2, 2007 at 6:10 PM

I have yet to read the aforementioned articles, but I just spent the majority of today at Shades, reading White Noise, and I'm on part 3. I used to think that I had impeccable reading comprehension until I started reading this book, and now I realize I miss and don't see half of the subtleties Delillo wants his readers to pick up on. Like that the whole cloud thing of part 2 symbolized. What different characters symbolize. Why the hell J.A.K is the main character. There's the main story, and then there's the story Delillo assumes you'll pick up on. And I don't think I'm picking it up yet.

I can say that I'm in love with the characters Murray and Heinrich. They're great.

What chu say bout that, Stallings?

-Karen "holy crap" vonMoses

JStallings said... September 2, 2007 at 7:44 PM

Well, I suppose I should have commented first on this post instead of the other one, but in case you don't want to switch:

It is okay to not like the books; it is okay to not understand everything that is going on. We'll talk about it more on Monday, but I want you to think about what you are getting out of it and not what DeLillo (or I) might want you to "pick up on."

Starting point: Why are Murray and Heinrich your favorite characters? Are they funny? Are they kind of absurd? Why?

Anonymous said... September 2, 2007 at 9:28 PM

Thank you Stallings...White noise, well I can't really tell you what I think of it or I would get in trouble.I felt like a complete dumb ass reading that. Never Let me go is much better. I get it.
Oh, and Murray...well he's just a perverted old fart. Yep, I said it.
-Sparks

Anonymous said... September 3, 2007 at 5:40 PM

http://speakingoffaith.publicradio.org/programs/index.shtml

Just heard about this site. Very cool articles on different religions. It's un-biased, and is based on learning and sharing, and keeping and open-mind instead of what zealous Christians call open-mindedness.

Just didn't want anyone to freak out that it's not secular. Trust me, I'm one of the last people just posting religious shit to change anyones perspective.

Anonymous said... September 3, 2007 at 6:44 PM

I too believe that Heinrich is somewhat amazing... I think that the books we are supposed to read, as well as postmodernism isn't something that should be... for lack of better words, thought hard about... I guess it is like that song we listened to by The Decemberists. We as humans seem to try to soak up every little peice of knowledge that we can find, try to understand every little thing, tending not to enjoy things if they aren't understood. We like to ruin things by ripping them apart, 'leave no stone unturned' so to speak. That isn't always the best thing to do, for it only causes insanity... okay that is an... over statement, but we all get the picture.
About White Noise try going at it in a different way. Don't look for symbols, just read. I will expound tomorrow, even if you don't want me to.

Anonymous said... September 4, 2007 at 7:30 PM

ALL CAPS AND THE DREADED.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-SPARKS

JStallings said... September 4, 2007 at 9:15 PM

My ears are ringing.

Anonymous said... September 4, 2007 at 10:02 PM

Bwahahaha, I love this blog.

So I picked up a couple new magazines and "Sex, Drugs, and Cocoa Puffs" (yes, you inspired me, along with many other people insisting it changed their lives) and fully intend to share the wealth tomorrow. Kind of controversial issue on legalizing drugs. That okay?

-Karen "holy crap" vonMoses

Anonymous said... September 4, 2007 at 10:07 PM

Nelly Furtado!?

JStallings said... September 4, 2007 at 10:16 PM

What about Nelly? For those of you confused by the title, I would like to offer a disclaimer: This is not a raunchy book. The author uses popular culture (often the most "pop" of culture-see the essay on The Real World for a good example) as a means to ask philosophical questions. For anyone who can get his or her hands on the essay about Tom Cruise's ugly, disfigured face, please read it. He looks at movies like Memento, Vanilla Sky, and Memento to ask, "What is reality"? Deep, man.

If any of you are interested, I can bring in supplementary sources from Descartes, Nagel, Churchland, Ryle, and their like when we discuss logical arguments.

MemorableName said... September 5, 2007 at 12:35 AM

Descartes is always cool with me. I like his ideas, but I'm not familiar enough with his writings. I've only heard a little about the others, but, uh... I'm always up for more reading, man.

Speaking of Memento though, I think that's probably one of the clearer examples of a movie suited for a rhetoric class (in my limited opinion), if that makes any sense. It's a simple story, more or less, but through it's presentation it's made into something else entirely, all for the sake of expressing an argument. The more I think about it the more it seems every good film is an argument to the audience, dictating how they should feel about certain things.

Man, can we just bring this up in class, actually? "Film rhetoric" or something? I want to see what other people think about it.

Anonymous said... September 5, 2007 at 8:42 PM

holy snot batman..RENT is coming to Tulsa! my prayers are answered!
Any one else excited???
-Sparks

Post a Comment