0

  1. Blankets by Craig Thompson
  2. Slaughterhouse Five because he was the greatest American author ever. Ever.
  3. Bird by Bird by Anne Lamott
  4. Strunk & White (I had a copy of this for two years in college before I opened it.)
  5. A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius by Dave Eggers because it is, and I hate the author a little bit for it.
  6. The Brothers Karamazov because it is incredible. Really. Get the Volokhonsky trans.
  7. Oryx and Crake and The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
  8. Man Gone Down by Michael Thomas
  9. The Cheap Bastard's Guide to New York City We used the Frommer's New York City from $90 a Day, but it doesn't have cool stuff like Madison Ave. trash pickup dates and times.
  10. A Moleskine notebook. Okay, doesn't count as a book, but this is a must have, especially for people with phony majors like I had. You never know when you'll be inspired to write something about a book you are reading, an interaction you just witnessed, a song you just heard. Plus, there's a pocket in the back! I never use the pocket unless I want to lose something. Hey! There they are! I knew I bought stamps the other day...

These are bare necessities. This is not a list of my favorite books, because why would anyone want to know that? Besides, maybe a book I've never read is my favorite. Then my list would be incorrect. There are strict regulations that state, "Nothing innaccurate or incorrect should ever appear on a website." Really. I heard about it.

Print this post
0
Responses to ... Ten Books That Should Have Been Assigned During My Freshman Year of College

Post a Comment